Today, people are no longer sticking to same kind of job throughout their life, therefore, career for life is no longer an option. Most people work under variety of employers and move across different industries. And how do they do this? They work on their job oriented skillsets.
What is a skill? A skill is an ability to perform an activity in a competent manner. The skill can be classified as transferable, based on personality traits and knowledge based skills.
What is a skillset? A skillset is a combination of abilities, qualities and experience you can apply to perform any task. Each person will have different skillset according to their interest, natural abilities, personal qualities and technical skills.
As an employability coach, I define employability as a set of skills that includes skills, understanding and personal attributes. A fresher is called to be employable if they posess all of these , that will lead to success in their chosen profession. These set of achievements will benefit themselves, the workplace, the community and the economy.
Most of the people are not just worried about getting the job but how can they be successful throughout their working life. This can only be achieved if they broaden their skill sets and attributes to fit into anything and everything by being more adaptable.
According to The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD), employees should own 6 skill sets
- Basic Competency Skills: includes reading, writing, computation skills
- Communication Skills: includes listening and speaking skills
- Adaptability Skills: includes problem solving and creative skills
- Development Skills: includes goal setting, motivation, career planning skills
- Group Effectiveness Skills: includes team work, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Influencing Skills: leadership and understanding organizational culture skills