The one thing that held people pursuing their dream is fear of failure and to overcome that, one needs to have self-confidence. If we do anything with the mindset of having nothing to lose than no uncertainties can ever stop us achieving what we ever dream of.
Being interviewed for a job can make you nervous, sacred and doubtful about your own abilities. And to add to these feelings you need to come across as cool, clam and confident during the interview. The question is How to build self-confidence? Do you believe in yourself? If the answer is yes than why to worry, but if the answer is No , than why to worry, as I have the list of ways that can help you overcome this fear and make you a confident interviewee.
- Positive Affirmation/Positive self-talk – “Yes I can Do It”, “I am the best”,” I know it all” – are some such self-talks that can not only boost your confidence but can make you feel good about yourself and everything around you. You are what you do, and so if you change what you do, you change what you are. Act in a positive way, take action instead of just telling yourself. Imagine yourself succeeding. Put energy into every action, you will soon start to notice a difference.
- Be Grateful-Studies have shown that gratitude reduces social comparisons. Learn to appreciate your own and other’s accomplishments. All of us have the ability and opportunity to develop gratitude. Instead of complaining of what you do not have , take a moment and thank for what you have. Developing the attitude for gratitude will lead to greater satisfaction what one have in their lives which is turn will help you to become more confident.
- Dress Well and be well Groomed-Dressing well and looking good not only increases your performance but heightens others’ impression of you. Wearing clothes that makes you feel intelligent and important can change the way you interact with others as well as your intellectual functioning. The way we feel , the way we behave and the way other people respond to us depends upon our appearance. So take advantage of this and dress for success. When you wear an outfit that associate with intelligence and power, you are likely to do better than when wearing clothing that you associate with sloppiness or low-skilled work. So if you want increase your confidence wear clothes that are attractive, appropriate, authentic and affordable.
- Surround yourself with Positive people-There is a famous saying- “You are known by the company you keep”. You have no control over what people think and feel about you but you will always be judged by the people you are surrounded with. Therefore surround yourself with people who know your worth and that is possible only if your know your own worth. Identify people who can help you in achieving your goals and becomes your accountable partners.
- Know yourself and love yourself-Self-awareness is the key to become more aware about your own strengths and weaknesses and once you become aware the first step is to capitalize your strengths and work on your weaknesses. On the other hand positive self-image and body image are the most vital component of becoming a confident human being. People’s self-image is normally based on the compliments and criticism received from others. To increase your confidence one should accept and love who you are.
- Focus on solutions rather than problems– Be positive-Focusing on solutions revitalize your mind and helps you to think more clearly. It also helps you to be more focused and view failure not as a disaster but as a stepping stone which takes you closer to your goals. Problems are only their in our lives to show us the path to reach our ultimate destination. So try to be positive and remember problems and adversity are only present in our lives to help us, not hurt us. Never loose sight of this truth.
- Be kind and generous-Always be a givers and not takers. The more you give the more you become self-reliant. Generosity is both natural confidence builder and a natural repellent of self-hatred. When we focus more on what we are giving we shift our focus from ourselves and become a contributor, this is turn not only boost your confidence but makes you feel content.
- Use power poses–Power poses makes you feel confident in different situations. For example before an interview plant your feet widely and stretch your arms overhead in a V shape as if you are soaking in the applause after a great performance. Leaning forward while standing shows you are engaged and in a position of dominance. Apply breathing techniques to feel more relaxed. Whenever you are in doubt apply these techniques as it can make you feel better and in the position of power.
- Be Healthy-Physical and mental fitness and developing a healthy relationship with food can really help improve confidence. Having a balanced diet improves your immune system. So try inculcate mood boosting diet in your daily routine. Physical fitness and good mental stability will boost your confidence. Looking and feeling fit makes you feel confident as it will not only make feel positive about your body image but also self-image.
- Know your Goals-Know what you want to achieve in life. Once you have clarity of what you aim in your life it becomes easier for you to know how to get it. Firstly write it down to make yourself accountable, identify people who will help you in achieving them and then break them to make them attainable, take action and evaluate on regular intervals. This process will help you in boosting your confidence and its uncertainly which causes panic and stress and knowing you goals will keep you far away from them.
Last but not the least PRACTICE PRACTICE and more PRACTICE, can make you feel more confident. And this can be done if you ace your interview Skills. Read more about this here.
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa