Group discussion is a part of recruitment process and the next step towards Campus to Corporate ,more than selection it is considered as an elimination criteria. Often used by the recruiter where the number of candidates are high. Remember it is not a debate, where you need to prove you point ,where either you win or lose but expressing your point of view and respecting another’s point of view. It is a process where recruiter is trying to gauge upon various skill set like, leadership skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills, listening skills, adaptability, reasoning skills, team spirit, time management, assertiveness, knowledge, convincing capacity, self confidence, diplomacy , rationality, empathy,attitude, presence of mind, respect for others and so on.
Group discussion is a systematic way on a particular topic, not a wrestling match to score points. It calls for a lot more maturity and logic. Group discussion is extensively used along with personal interviews for the final selection of candidates for a job interview. It helps in selecting the best among the candidates. All candidates are placed on an equal footing in a GD. It is also designed as a situation test wherein a candidate’s group worthiness and potential as employee comes out explicitly.
Checklist for Evaluation
Remember 3 C’s while initiation – Clarity, Confidence and Content.There is always an advantage if the initiation is perfect as an opening. However it does not mean that one has to start first, whenever one starts in any order , one should initiate his/her view in a particular manner. Initiate only if one has in-depth knowledge about the topic and have full confidence while starting the discussion. Do not stammer,shutter or quote wrong facts and figure. This is the time when you have to focus on creating positive first impression.
Great starting creates a good impression. So start with a –
- Facts, Figures and Statistics
- General Statement
What is your strategy while contributing to the group discussion. Contribution towards group discussion includes 3 thing:
- Approach- Reactive or Proactive
- Role: Leader,Piggyback or fountain head
- Nature of Contribution: Positive or Negative
Communication is the key to success. So make sure both verbal and non-verbal communication is flawless.
- In verbal communication one needs to take care of articulation, Fluency and modulation.
- In non-verbal communication one must take care of energy, posture, eye Contact and Gesticulation and not to forget professional dressing.
Candidate should have the ability to influence others and make them to believe in his words.There are three key approaches
- Ethos (Trust and Credibility)- Influence people by developing trust and credibility.
- Pathos(Emotions)- Influence people my involving them personally by sharing your personal experiences.
- Logos(logic)- Influence by providing facts and figures.
- Striking a balance between individual excellence and group performance
- Establishing positive relationships with other participants
- Ensuring logical progression of the discussion
While summarizing the discussion there are few thing one needs to remember:
- Avoid raising new points
- Avoid stating only your points
- Avoid dwelling only your viewpoint
- Avoid dwelling only on one aspect of the GD.
- Keep it brief and concise.
Group Discussion helps to evaluate whether a candidate is best fit for the organization and helps to assess how the candidates behaves and reacts in different situations. There are different types of group discussions. Companies decides on the topic based on their requirements.
Factual Topics– Here recruiter is trying to gauge upon candidate’s awareness level.
Abstract Topics– Here recruiter is trying to gauge upon creativity of the candidate.
Controversial Topics– Here recruiter is trying to gauge upon maturity level and decision making abilities of the candidate.
Group Discussion enables a participating candidate to think in divergent directions to generate more points and a good presentation of the topic in the group.
I am taking my blog to the next level with Blogchatter’s #MyFriendAlexa